my landlord is not making repairs and/or my unit is unsafe

As a tenant who leases a rental unit, you are entitled to a safe, habitable living space that is compliant with local rental regulations.  

The City of Detroit rental ordinance requires that all rental properties be registered, inspected, and receive a Certificate of Compliance (CoC) from the Buildings, Safety Engineering, & Environmental Department (BSEED) before landlords can lawfully rent out properties or collect rent from tenants.

If you feel that your rental unit is not safe and habitable, or your landlord has been unresponsive to requests for repairs, you can file a complaint with Detroit’s Buildings, Safety Engineering, and Environmental Department (BSEED) online or by calling 1-(313)-224-2733.